New statistics from CEDIA (the Custom Electronic Design and Installation Association) reveal that 91% of consumers aspire to having whole house control / automation system, showing a significant consumer appetite for smart home technology.

Research was carried out at The Gadget Show Live in 2013, polling the opinion of over 700 consumers. A home audio system is currently the most popular technology feature, with 65% of respondents saying they already have this in their property. Home security systems are also high up the priority ladder, with 53% saying they choose to protect their house this way. A further automated-home favourite is the Home Cinema, with 49% saying they already have one installed, and the remaining 51% saying they would like to have one - showing the demand for a high quality, movie-watching experience at home.
Automated home technology features which are high on consumer wish lists include:

·       90% would like to have automatically operated blinds or curtains

·       87% would like to have outdoor speakers & audio controls

·       85% would like to have a lighting control system

·       83% would like to have an energy management system/display

Encouragingly, 31% of those surveyed would choose a home technology professional to install this type of technology. However, there is a large proportion of consumers who would choose to install this type of technology in their homes themselves.
Wendy Griffiths, CEDIA’s Executive Director in Region 1 says; “We are delighted to see that so many people aspire to having smart home technology in their properties, showing what a growing sector this is. We’re also excited by the opportunity this presents to CEDIA members who should see the great potential available for repeat business from people who have already started to embrace automated features in their homes.”
CEDIA has developed a consumer facing website (www.cedia.org) which is rich with informative content that positions CEDIA members as qualified and credible professionals who deliver home technology solutions.